Harvey S. Jacobs is a creative and innovative problem solver for today's business owner or real estate investor. Mr. Jacobs is often called upon to advise clients regarding the formation of new business entities whether as start-ups, spin-offs from mature enterprises or via mergers or acquisitions. In this role he handles all facets of the process: entity selection, due diligence, leasing of space, shareholder agreements, employment agreements, non-compete, non disclosure and non-circumvent agreements, vendor contracts, and operating agreements.
Mr. Jacobs advises high-tech and emerging technology companies. He is well-versed in online technologies and the legal issues encountered by technology companies or "brick and mortar" companies doing business online. He has successfully resolved issues such as online defamation, commercial disparagement, and "works for hire" disputes. He has drafted online advertising agreements, web design and development agreements, web hosting agreements, software licensing agreements, and trademark assignments. Mr. Jacobs drafts web site terms and conditions, privacy policies, and disclaimers.
For his real estate clients, Mr. Jacobs is frequently called upon to analyze the clients' goals then structure, negotiate and document a transaction that minimizes the clients' risks, taxes and inconvenience, while maximizing the clients' chance of success. In this role Mr. Jacobs routinely coordinates with lenders, appraisers, Realtors, environmental and structural engineers, inspectors, and Certified Public Accountants to achieve a comprehensive and often creative solution for the real estate investor/owner. Mr. Jacobs is a patient and skilled draftsman and negotiator. He conducts "Stress-Free" residential and commercial settlements in Maryland and the District of Columbia. His philosophy is that a "win-win" transaction is virtually always the preferable outcome.
Mr. Jacobs also writes the "House Lawyer" column for the Washington Post. His prior columns can be found by clicking F below.
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York,
Honors: Member, Moot Court Honor Society, Aaron A. Solomon Prize
- George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia,
Honors: Past President, Alumni Association
Honors: Recipient, Distinguished Alumni Service Award
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Residential Real Estate Settlements in the District of Columbia, Annual 8 Hour CLE
- Understanding the HUD-1 Settlement Statement, 1.5 hour online CLE
- 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges seminar for the Maryland Land Title Association
- DC Tax Sale Foreclosures - Moderator for the DC Bar and the DC Land Title Association
- Netpreneurship, The George Washington University School of Business; Virginia Tech - Northern Virginia Center
- ABC-TV "World News Now" Monthly Internet Law and Online Privacy Correspondent
- Frequent Guest on Channel 9 WUSA-TV on Internet Law Issues
- Speaker, Washington Real Estate Investors Association
- Columnist - The Washington Post - "House Lawyer" column
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- DC Bar
- Past Chair, Real Property Transactions Committee
- DC Bar, Real Estate, Housing and Land Use Section
- Elected to the Steering Committee
- Kiwanis Club of Washington, DC
- Past President
- Past Employment Positions:
- New York City, Private Practice