Darin L. Rumer is a principal in the firm’s Family Law practice group who is dedicated to providing compassionate and strategic counsel to spouses, parents and children involved in stressful family disputes throughout Maryland and the Washington, D.C. area. He has deep trial, appellate and settlement negotiation experience in every type of emotionally-charged family controversy his clients may encounter, including the following:
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Marital Property Division
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Post-Divorce Modifications of Custoday and Child Support
- Business Valuations
- Protective Orders
- Domestic Violence
Darin is regarded by judges, mediators, opposing counsel and clients as a dedicated advocate with powerful oral and written communication skills, capable of negotiating a fair out-of-court solution to his client’s dispute and also willing to go to the mat when necessary to aggressively protect his client’s best interests in a tough, well-planned courtroom battle. He represents diverse clients from all walks of life – government officials, doctors, scientists, high-income business executives, professionals, prominent public figures plus more – and his primary focus is always to defuse controversies in the most expedient and effective way possible under the circumstances.
As an undergraduate, Darin studied psychology and initially planned on pursuing a career in family counseling. After college, he seized every opportunity available to work with families, children and adolescents who were struggling to overcome various problems that prevented them from leading healthy, productive lives. This passion for helping families in difficult circumstances continues to drive Darin to protect the rights and interests of his clients and their children to this day. He constantly seeks out the tough cases involving domestic and sexual abuse that are often mishandled by inexperienced lawyers or lost in the shuffle by an overburdened legal system.
Darin takes deep pride in the fact that the impact he has on clients’ lives carries with them long after the representation is over. They often send cards, letters, emails and photographs with updates on how they and their children have moved forward and are enjoying success since the family dispute was resolved.
Direct Dial: 240-399-7895
The use of the Internet or this form of communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
Clemson University, B.A., 1997
Regent University School of Law, 2000
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Outside the Office
Outside the office, Darin enjoys a variety of outdoor activities with his wife and young children and is an avid fan of the Clemson and Ohio State football teams.
- Helped a mother battling serious addiction issues secure a gradual path back into her children’s lives by negotiating a modified possession order requiring her to engage in addiction therapy, submit to drug testing and wear a remote alcohol monitoring device as conditions for her progressive visitation and custody schedule.
- After three years of contentious litigation led by another lawyer and the court’s dismissal of a protective order against the client’s husband, stepped in as an assertive advocate and quickly mediated a new separation agreement modifying child custody with favorable terms for the client.
- In a custody battle played out in the media where the client’s ex-wife was dating a prominent sports figure and never allowing the child to visit the client in Maryland, successfully persuaded the court after an eight-day trial to modify the possession order to 50/50 custody according to a fixed schedule.
- Member- Maryland State Bar Association
- Member- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Member- Frederick County Bar Association
Speeches & Articles
- Guest Lecturer, Fathers United for Equal Justice
Awards & Honors
- SuperLawyers Maryland Rising Star, 2008–2010
- Lead counsel rated for Family Law
- Named one of The American Institute of Family Law Attorney's "10 Best" in Maryland, 2016-2017