Megan Benevento is a civil litigation lawyer and dedicated advocate with deep experience in protecting and enforcing the rights of children, parents, and other individuals who are victims of the system. She handles a broad range of civil rights and general litigation matters before state and federal courts throughout Maryland and the Washington, D.C. area, including police brutality, child abuse, domestic abuse, First Amendment violations, mistreatment of prisoners, significant personal injury, business litigation, professional and medical malpractice, and class action fraud litigation.
Megan views litigation as a powerful force that holds the government and businesses accountable for taking advantage of children and other individuals who cannot protect themselves. Clients appreciate her steady resolve in the midst of a crisis, her ability to develop an immediate rapport with everyone involved in a case, and her tireless devotion to understanding clients’ emotional needs and pursuing their realistic litigation goals. Megan is extremely candid with clients about how the litigation process will impact their lives and the likely outcomes of their cases.
Victims were benefitting from Megan’s passionate dedication to fighting injustice long before she ever set foot in a courtroom as a litigator. A graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, Megan has a strong commitment to excellence and public service. While studying as an undergraduate at the University of Oregon, where she graduated magna cum laude and was recognized twice with the Dean’s Award for Service, she spent her spare time as a victim advocate. Megan served on the front lines of numerous interventions and investigations involving severe child abuse and neglect. She later became a sworn Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA), responsible for protecting the best interests of foster children and ensuring they were never lost or denied rights within the county’s overburdened child welfare system. During her CASA tenure, Megan helped design and implement an award-winning volunteer support program that was later adopted as the national standard for such programs. As a law student, she interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in D.C. and played an integral role in helping the government secure a conviction in a complex felony murder trial.
Direct Dial: (240) 553-1135
The use of the Internet or this form of communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
University of Oregon, Robert D. Clark Honors College, B.S., magna cum laude, 2012
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2016
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 2017
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2017
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 2018
Honors and Awards
- Award for Innovatice Practices, Lane County Board of Commissioners, 2012
- Recognized on the Maryland Daily Record's "Successfull by 40 VIP" list, 2018
- Certified Victim’s Assistant, Oregon Department of Justice Crime Victims’ Services Division
- Co-Author, "Color in the Details for Clients Getting a 'Gray Divorce'" in Estates and Trusts Magazine
“Public Advocacy in Action: Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect” Workshop, June 14, 2011, Foster Care Advocacy Team’s Foster Care Conference
- Mentioned in United States Department of Justice press release after a prominent DC murder trial
- Quoted, Eugene Daily News, University Organization 90 By 30 Tackles Child Abuse In Lane County
- Quoted, Inside Cousel, IoT Devices Becoming More Important in Criminal Investigations
Pro Bono Activities
- CAIR: Capitol Area Immigrants’ Rights Coalition-Credible Fear Interviewer, 2013-2014
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA), 2010-2014
- Alumni Interviewer for Georgetown University Law Center’s Admissions
Speeches & Articles
- “90by30: Reducing Child Maltreatment 90% by 2030 Through Collective Impact.”
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Maryland Association for Justice
- Prince George’s County Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
Outside the Office
Outside the office, Megan enjoys spending free time with her dog and exploring outdoor recreation activities throughout the metro Washington and Maryland.