Paul Riekhof is a principal in Joseph, Greenwald & Laake’s Estates and Trusts Group and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He has more than 20 years of experience in representing individuals, families, and businesses in matters including estate planning, probate, trust administration, estate tax planning, business planning, guardianships, and estate litigation matters.
Paul’s clients count on him for multi-faceted legal counsel that takes into account complex structures, tax liabilities, asset protection, and potential litigation issues. Paul has assisted many clients with strategic wealth preservation planning and trust administration matters, and takes pride in going the extra mile to identify all of the issues and making the process easier for his clients and their loved ones. You can also click here to hear Paul on The Probate Nation, provide an overview of the probate process in Maryland.
His experience includes representing and advising clients concerning all aspects of estate tax planning, wealth preservation, family business preservation, gift and charitable gift planning, buy-sell agreements, establishing special needs trusts and discretionary trusts to conserve assets for the benefit of disabled individuals, establishing irrevocable trusts to remove insurance and other assets from estates, and establishing revocable trusts for probate avoidance and disability planning.
Outside of the office, Paul enjoys spending time on the water, on a mountain or on a beach with his wife and two children.
Direct Dial: 240-399-7899
The use of the Internet or this form of communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., 1995
University of Chicago, B.A., with honors, 1989
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church, chair, Finance Counsel
- Montgomery-Prince George's County Continuing Legal Education Institute, Inc., former executive director
- Family Services Agency, Inc., former member, board of directors and past president
Speeches & Articles
- CLE presenter, Orphans Court, Probate Court in Maryland, November 2012
Awards & Honors
- “Top Estate and Probate Lawyers in the D.C. area,” Washingtonian, 2004, and 2007
- “Legal Elite,” SmartCEO magazine, 2009 and 2011
- “Top 22 Estate Lawyers,” Bethesda magazine, 2011