Legal Administrative Assistant – Civil Litigation and Labor & Employment Law Practices
The Senior Legal Assistant works directly with attorneys and other Legal Support staff to serve the needs of the Firm’s clients. This position requires prior experience as a Legal Assistant/Paralegal. Senior Legal Assistants may have supervisory responsibilities for less experienced case team staff.
The Firm requires that the duties and responsibilities of this position be performed onsite during scheduled work hours.
- Work with attorneys on client projects, including but not limited to: organization and management of case documents; creation and maintenance of appropriate logs of client materials (e.g., client materials received, privilege, and production logs); maintenance of case calendars in coordination with docketing; performance of legal and factual research; cite-checking, filing, and service of legal briefs and memoranda; preparation of exhibits, forms, and court/bar applications
- Cite-check, generate tables of authorities/contents, prepare exhibits, and file with expert proficiency and train less experienced Legal Support staff in same
- Work with attorneys, in-house resources, and local vendors to plan and execute support for court and agency trials and hearings virtually, locally, and out of town
- Review and summarize case materials, including preparation of timelines, witness outlines, and exhibit lists
- Prepare and supervise the preparation of supporting materials/exhibits for depositions, hearings, and trials
- Draft legal documents or prepare shell pleadings at the direction of and under the supervision of attorneys
- Coordinate and review production of documents; organize, review, and analyze documents for production; and oversee with drafting of privilege logs
- At attorney’s direction, act as a liaison between attorneys and clients by means of written and oral communications
- Supervise the case-related work product of less experienced Legal Support staff and train, and mentor them in procedures and practices to best support the practice group, including case management, cite-checking, research, and trial support
- Ensures that standards of performance are adhered to and that assignments are effectively completed in a prompt, efficient, and cost-conscious manner
- Contribute to department and practice knowledge management and training efforts
- Other duties as may be assigned by attorneys
- Position requires that the employee have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
- The following are physical activities that occur in this job on a regular basis, but they are not essential functions of this position, and individuals who have disabilities which may limit their ability to do these physical tasks are welcome and encouraged to apply. Candidates will receive full and appropriate reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and state and local law.
- This position is primarily a sedentary position. However, some duties and responsibilities are required which would require the applicant to lift files, open filing cabinets, bend or stand, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, occasionally move about to access office equipment, file cabinets, etc.
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 20 pounds.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- The ability to communicate professionally and effectively, both in oral and written form
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize/coordinate deadlines, and track progress of tasks
- Ability to organize workflow and use time efficiently
- Ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Must maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships in or out of a team environment
- Able to manage litigation cases of all sizes from initiation through resolution, including trial experience
- Expert in cite-checking (verifying quotes and case law, confirming case status/history, citation formatting (Bluebook or other format specified by the jurisdiction)), proofreading, exhibit preparation, and performing electronic filings (ECF) and ability to train junior staff to proficiency in same
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook and Adobe Acrobat; aptitude for learning new software strongly preferred
- Able to manage matters from initiation through resolution
- Able to supervise, train, and delegate to other team members
- Consistently demonstrate growth in substantive skills and knowledge of practice area
- Flexibility and willingness to work overtime on an as needed basis
- Must be able to travel locally
JGL offers a competitive salary and benefits package to include new child care leave, retirement plan, personal marketing funds and more.
Competitive – commensurate with experience
Judicial clerkship (Preferred)
- Health Insurance
- New Childcare
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Paid Time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
Monday to Friday
Please include a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.