Pre-Litigation Personal Injury Paralegal
Joseph, Greenwald & Laake, P.A. (“JGL”), an AV rated 40+ lawyer Maryland law firm seeks a paralegal in Maryland, for immediate hire in its Greenbelt office.
The successful candidate will be a well-organized individual with 7+ years of experience managing all aspects of pre-litigation personal injury claims. Qualified candidates must be able to manage a high-volume caseload, with strong attention to detail, and be familiar with the relevant laws in MD, DC, and VA pertaining to personal injury claims, including PIP/MedPay and UM/UIM claims. Exceptional oral and written communication skills required as position involves extensive contact with clients, insurance adjusters and medical providers.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting initial phone and in-person interviews and completing intake applications and forms;
- Setting up case files, including data entry of all client and case information, reporting claims to insurance carriers and verifying all available coverages;
- Drafting claim notices as required and accurately documenting notice, PIP and SOL deadlines;
- Obtaining accident reports and investigative materials, including interviewing witnesses, obtaining scene and damage photographs, issuing FOIA requests and spoliation letters, and proposing other investigative measures (i.e., accident reconstruction) as needed to establish liability;
- Filing PIP applications and managing PIP claims through exhaustion, including coordinating benefits, paying providers, and keeping accurate records of all payments and balances;
- Requesting, organizing, indexing and summarizing all medical records and bills, lost wage information and all other special damages documentation to properly document and value claim;
- Assisting clients with property damage claims as needed; obtaining and analyzing health insurance and other liens for accuracy and completeness, disputing unrelated claims, and negotiating reductions;
- Monitoring client treatment status and keeping attorneys informed of relevant changes in care; assessing the need for and coordinating communication between clients, providers, adjusters and attorneys for the efficient and timely resolution of claims;
- Drafting demand letters and assembling all supporting documentation in bookmarked pdf format; conducting supervised settlement negotiations and maintaining accurate records of ongoing negotiations;
- Drafting settlement statements;
- Coordinating all aspects of settlement disbursements from confirming outstanding medical, A&A and lien balances, including Medicare and Medicaid, to requesting and negotiating reductions, notarizing and coordinating the signing of settlement agreements, processing disbursements and drafting all necessary closing letters;
- Also requires maintaining up-to-date caselist and resolution reports and accurately recording/billing all time worked.
- No administrative assistance provided.
JGL offers a competitive salary and benefits package. If you are a responsible and motivated individual with a positive attitude, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Competitive – commensurate with experience
7 to 10 years (Required)
Judicial clerkship (Preferred)
Bachelor’s degree (Preferred)
Bonuses - discretionary
- Health Insurance
- New Childcare
- Fitness Reimbursement
- Paid Time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
Monday to Friday
Please include a resume, cover letter and two writing samples to: email@example.com.