"I am dedicated to the overall success of clients for maximum monetary results, as well as assisting them to return to a successful life after their injuries."
I am dedicated to the overall success of our clients for maximum medical recovery and maximum monetary results, as well as assisting them to return to a successful life after their injuries.
The Chair of the Workers’ Compensation and Insurance Group at Joseph, Greenwald and Laake, Debora Fajer-Smith has over 35 years of experience in representing people injured in auto or workplace accidents, and those suffering occupational injury or death. Debora is a passionate advocate for her clients’ rights and takes pride in being able to put severely injured people back on the path to independence, whether through obtaining a lump sum, medical treatment or lining up vocational training for a new job.
Debora’s experience, creativity and skill have made her both a formidable courtroom opponent and an excellent negotiator who has obtained favorable settlements and awards for thousands of clients over three decades of practicing law.
She has represented multi-generations of families and her clients are very loyal, referring coworkers and friends.
Debora is a plaintiff attorney in Maryland with national recognition, named to the American Bar Association College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers. She has served as an appointed public member on the Senate-House Oversight Committee in the Maryland Legislature on Workers’ Compensation and Insurance for many years. She was awarded several litigant and leader in law awards such as Best Lawyers and Bench Mark Top Litigators.
She has traveled as citizen-ambassador to the Middle East, Asia, Europe, Africa and Latin America. Debora is fluent in conversational French and in Portuguese, her native language. She believes in giving back to the community she serves. For this, the Daily Record named her to the Top 100 Women of the Year in Maryland for 2007 and again in 2014. She served 9 years as President of the Maryland Sister States Board under the office of the Secretary of State of Maryland. She served on the University System of Maryland Foundation Executive Board as chairman of the committee on directors.
Debora founded her own law firm in 1988, where she served as managing principal for 21 years, until joining Joseph, Greenwald & Laake. Her law career was chronicled in the book The Road to Independence, produced by the American Bar Association’s Commission on Women in the Profession. She has led a lifetime believing in mentoring children and young lawyers.
Debora believes whether she’s in Maryland practicing law or in Rio de Janeiro working with a school for disadvantaged children, “it’s all about lifting the lives of others so they can prosper.”
In her private time, Debora enjoyed being a private pilot and raising her two sons.
- Harvard Kennedy School of Executive Education
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Maryland, B.A., 1981
- Maryland, 1985
- District of Columbia, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Supreme Court
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys
- Prince George's Bar Association, Workers Compensation Section, chair
- Senate-House Joint Oversight Committee for Workers Compensation and Insurance Benefits, Maryland State Legislature
- Maryland State Bar Association, Judicial Nominating Committee for Prince George’s County
Speeches & Articles
- Co-editor, The Maryland Automobile Accident Desk Book, 2nd ed.
- Co-author, The Road to Independence, American Bar Association, Commission on Women in the Profession
Awards & Honors
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Top 10 Personal Injury Attorneys in Maryland, 2022
- Top 100 Women in Maryland , Daily Record, 2014
- Leadership in the Law, Daily Record, 2014
- Secretary of State Maryland s Ambassador Award
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers 2015 , National Trial Lawyers
- UMBC Alumni Award, 2016 Steering Committee
- Local Litigation Star, Benchmark, The definitive guide to America’s leading litigation lawyers, Legal Media Group, 2013, 2014
- Top 150 Plaintiff Lawyers, Benchmark, Legal Media Group, 2013
- Corporate International Legal Awards Winner, Personal Injury Lawyer, Maryland, USA, 2013
- Strategic Partner, Collective Empowerment Group, Prince George’s County, 2012
- ABA College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, 2011
- Rotarian of the Year, Crofton, Maryland, 2010
- Top 100 Women in Maryland History, The Daily Record Newspaper, 2007
- Chairperson of the Year, Governor's Sub Cabinet of International Affairs, Office of the Secretary of State, Maryland, 2005
Contact Debora Fajer-Smith
Debora Fajer-Smith In the News
News & Publications
Workers Compensation Issues - in Hollywood and in our Schools
Why Do We Think It’s Important to Represent Injured Workers?
The Wonderful World of Workers’ Compensation
New laws and their effects on Workers Compensation & Liability
Uber - The stakes grow even greater for GIG economy
How has COVID-19 affected Worker's Compensation Practice?
The Uber Factor – Will you be ready?
In A Workers Compensation Case, Remember You Can Implead In The Alternative – Accidental Injury Or Occupational Disease