For more than 43 years, Jeffrey N. Greenblatt has focused exclusively on representing individuals in complex, emotionally-charged family law matters in Maryland. Jeffrey has extensive trial experience and has negotiated out-of-court resolution experience in every type of family law dispute that impacts his clients’ lives, with a strong emphasis on the following:
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Marital Property Division
- Division of Retirement Assets
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Post-Divorce Modifications
- Business Valuations
- Protective Orders
- Domestic Violence
Jeffrey is a compassionate advocate who gravitates to challenging family controversies where children’s best interests are at stake, complicated financial matters are in dispute and emotions run extremely high. He understands that most clients fear their interests will go unprotected by the legal system or their spouses may have the upper hand at every turn. Jeffrey takes extra time to listen to each client’s concerns and learns every detail of his or her unique situation before he develops a tailored negotiation or trial strategy. He excels at finding creative ways to resolve disputes without the need for a courtroom battle, but he’s also ready to fight aggressively and safeguard his clients’ interests when a trial becomes unavoidable.
As Gray Divorces have become more common, Jeffrey has served as a pioneer in this emerging area of family law. He devotes a significant portion of his practice to developing the strategies older clients need to fully protect their interests both during and after divorce. These clients face unique challenges – long-term financial security, division of substantial assets and debts, health care, adult children’s higher education expenses plus much more – and Jeffrey has broad experience in helping them overcome these challenges and transition smoothly to an exciting new chapter in their lives.
Jeffrey is frequently recognized by peers for excellence in family law, including selection as a Maryland and Washington D.C Super Lawyer and as one of the Top Divorce Attorneys in the D.C. metropolitan area by both Bethesda Magazine and Washingtonian Magazine. He is also a speaker and author on a broad range of family law topics in numerous publications and forums. He was the chairman of the Montgomery County Bar Association's Family Law Section. For 25 years he taught the Montgomery County Bar Association’s annual family law update course. These updates were published and distributed each year to the judges and magistrates on the Montgomery County, Prince George's County and Frederick County benches.
The use of the Internet or this form of communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
American University Washington College of Law, J.D., 1973
Syracuse University, B.S., 1969
District of Columbia, 1974
All Maryland Circuit Courts
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Montgomery County Subcommittee for the Task Force on Spousal Abuse, 1981– 1982, chair
- Montgomery County Property & Alimony Committee, 1979–1980, chair
- Governor’s Committee on Inequities and Disparities of Divorce, 1991–1993
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Judicial Section Committee, 1984–1987, 2005–2006
- Family Law Section, 1973–present
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
Speeches & Articles
- Author, Estate Planning Magazine, "Coloring in the Details of Clients Getting a "Gray Divorce" , 2017
- Featured in Maryland Daily Record's "Transformative Term" , 2016
- Featured in Maryland Daily Record's Family Law Update, "Shades of Gray", 2016
- Author, Same-Sex Prenups: Consider this before the nuptials, The Daily Record, Maryland Family Law Update, November 5, 2014
- Lecturer, Annual Family Law Update, Montgomery County Bar Association, 1985–present
- Author, Montgomery County Family Law Update, annual publication
- Lecturer, Family Law, Maryland State Bar Association
- Lecturer, Prince George’s–Montgomery County Continuing Education Institute, 1976–1980
Awards & Honors
- Mr. Greenblatt is a renowned leader in his community's legal field. He has held several leadership positions with the Montgomery County and Maryland bar associations. He was appointed by Maryland's Governor to the Foster Care Review Board from 1984 to 1986. He also served on the Governor's committee on Inequities and Disparities of Divorce from 1991 to 1993. He is a past chairman of the Montgomery County Family Law section of the Bar Association. He is a well-known teacher, lecturer and author on family law issues. Starting in 1988 he had presented, annually, the Family Law Update to the Montgomery County Bar Association. His Updates were provided to all Judges on the Circuit Courts for Montgomery, Prince George's & Frederick County.
- Super Lawyer in MD/DC
- Named one of the Best Lawyers in America, 2011-present
- AV Rated, Martindale Hubbell
- Rated "Superb" by Avvo
- Awarded "Top Attorney" by DC Magazine
- Lead Counsel Rated
- Named a Top Divorce Attorney by Bethesda Magazine, 2010, 2013 and 2017
- Top Divorce Attorney, Metropolitan Area, Washingtonian magazine
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Montgomery County Bar Leaders
- Maryland Governor’s appointee, Foster Care Review Board
- Jeffrey Greenblatt was featured on the cover of Maryland Daily Record as he shares his perspective on the growing trend of people aged 50+ getting divorced. To read the full article, please click here.
Outside the Office
In his spare time, Jeffrey enjoys frequent exercise and attending a variety of cultural events, including movies, theater performances and live music.