Timothy P. O'Brien
"I am most proud of the cases where I am able to obtain favorable results for my clients in a prompt and efficient manner. Each estate case is unique, and the families I represent are facing complex financial and tax problems at times they are dealing with very difficult personal situations."
Timothy P. O'Brien
Timothy O’Brien brings a wealth of legal, financial, and accounting knowledge to his analysis of his clients’ needs. For more than two decades, Tim, a principal in the firm’s Estates and Trusts Group, has advised clients on a wide range of estate and trust issues. He advises clients on their estate planning options and makes recommendations to avoid unnecessary taxes. He also assists with the administration of estates, trusts, and guardianships.
When necessary, Tim will seek court intervention to resolve disputed matters, whether the dispute involves a will contest, the validity of a trust agreement, or the recovery of misappropriated assets. Known for his tenacious advocacy, Tim doesn’t shy away from complex or contested matters. In fact, Maryland judges regularly appoint Tim as a successor personal representative for estates that have been mismanaged by previous fiduciaries.
Tim has helped countless families navigate difficult situations, such as recovering estate assets that have been misused, settling tax liabilities with the IRS, and protecting assets for future generations.
In his spare time, Tim is a student of Irish history and an avid baseball fan, and has served as the treasurer for local, state, and national political campaigns.
Direct Dial: 240-553-1210
The use of the Internet or this form of communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
In the NEWS
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 1988
- Frostburg State College, B.S., 1981
- Maryland, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 1989
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Friends of Glenn Ivey, treasurer
- For Maryland Jobs & Schools, Inc., treasurer
- Maryland State Bar Association, member
- Prince George's County Bar Association, member
- District of Columbia Bar Association, member
- DeMatha Catholic High School Board of Advisors, former chairman
- St. Pius X Catholic Youth Organization, former president and baseball coach
- “D.C. Area’s Best Estates and Trusts Lawyers,” Washingtonian magazine, 2004
- Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News & World Report