The Labor and employment attorneys of Joseph, Greenwald & Laake have more than three decades of experience in helping employees stand up against institutions that engage in illegal employment practices. JGL’s Labor and Employment Law practice is founded on the principle that people who work hard shouldn’t have their livelihoods threatened by employers who don’t play by the rules.
JGL has successfully represented everyone from fast-food workers to high-level corporate executives and government workers. Among their notable recent victories, JGL won a verdict of more than $3 million in back pay for 13 information technology workers who were wrongfully terminated from their jobs at the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission; obtained an injunction requiring Prince George’s County to hire 64 highly qualified firefighters whose employment offers had been rescinded based on an illegal affirmative action policy; and obtained a groundbreaking decision establishing that Maryland workers can litigate breach-of-contract claims on a class basis in a suit on behalf of 100 newspaper distributors.
JGL has a proven track record of successfully representing employees in cases involving a broad range of workplace legal issues, including:
- Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or genetic information under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, and Maryland law;
- Class and individual actions to recover unpaid wages and overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and Maryland Wage Payment and Collection Law;
- Denial of job-protected leave to care for a worker’s or a family member’s serious medical condition under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA);
- Retaliation for exercising rights under the employment laws, including filing a charge of discrimination, complaining about job discrimination, or participating in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit;
- Sexual harassment;
- Breach-of-contract litigation, including non-compete agreements and non-disclosure agreements;
- Negotiation of severance agreements;
- Issues affecting unionized workplaces, including matters before the National Labor Relations Board;
- Administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Maryland Commission on Civil Rights (MCCR), and local county administrative agencies
In addition to the firm’s work on behalf of victims of discrimination and unlawful employment practices, JGL also provides skillful and experienced defense for employers that are accused of violating the law, and advises companies on compliance with workplace laws. JGL has assisted numerous Maryland employers with drafting employee handbooks, administering employee benefits programs, and responding to alleged violations of the discrimination laws in court or before administrative agencies.
The firm also has a robust professional discipline practice, representing doctors, mental health professionals, lawyers, real estate professionals, and accountants facing disciplinary issues before professional licensing boards.
Whether representing an employee suffering as a result of unfair wage practices or discrimination, an employer at the risk of litigation, a local union, or a licensed professional facing disciplinary proceedings, Joseph, Greenwald & Laake is committed to providing its clients with strategic and aggressive representation that protects their rights.
Read more about JGL’s work: