Reza Golesorkhi is widely recognized as one of a handful of elite divorce lawyers in the Maryland, Virginia and Washington D.C.area. While Reza is skilled at all facets of client advocacy, it is his skill as a trial lawyer and his command of the courtroom that sets him apart. He is the divorce lawyer you want in the court.
Reza has a unique ability to communicate and effectively advocate on behalf of his clients in both financial and custodial matters. Aside from his courtroom advocacy, he is also a very effective negotiator. Indeed many of Reza’s cases result in favorable settlements without full blown litigation. In addition to the countless divorce settlements that he has negotiated, Reza has also represented countless individuals in negotiating prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Reza regularly represents many of the most accomplished individuals and their spouses in the fields of finance, real estate, business, public service and entertainment. His keen understating of both Family Law and Business makes him the go to divorce lawyer for high net worth individuals.
Reza handles a broad range of family law matters, including the following:
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Marital Property Division
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Post-Divorce Modifications
- Business & Asset Valuations
- Protective Orders
- Domestic Violence
Divorce cases are often complicated with complex business and tax implications. Reza is a skilled and competent divorce lawyer who understands finances and can help navigate you throughout the divorce process. Reza has years of experience serving as outside general counsel and advisor to business clients, providing strategic guidance on a wide variety of corporate law issues. This unique business background makes him an effective advocate in family law matters involving business and real estate valuations, closely-held family business holdings, tax considerations and other complex financial issues that will have a substantial impact on his clients’ lives long after the divorce is final.
Direct Dial: 240-399-7892
Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, 2004
George Washington University, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, B.S., 1998
New Jersey, 2004
Washington, D.C., 2015
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Program co-chair, Family Law Section, 2007–2008; co-chair, Family Law Section, 2008–2009
- Montgomery County, Maryland, American Inn of Court
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Iranian American Bar Association, founding and board member
Awards & Honors
- Maryland SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2012–2014
- Smart CEO, designee
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News and World Report
- A stay-at-home mom was looking at an impending divorce when her husband a prominent physician moved out of their house. "He didn't, however, stop there," explained Reza. Her husband also arranged to have her utilities turned off and limited her available cash. "We knew we needed something hanging over his head. So, we immediately filed in Prince George's County and caught him by surprise." The strategy worked, resulting in an out-of-court mediation, which led to an agreement granting Reza's client substantial alimony.
- According to Reza, "I was representing a man with substantial wealth, helping him plan his divorce." There was an issue because his wife hadn't worked for over 10 years, raising the possibility that his wife would be awarded indefinite alimony. Working closely with the client, the wife subsequently went back to work for a period of time, resulting in a lower alimony award for a short duration.
- A small, manufacturing business in Northern Virginia needed help with employment, trade secret and contractual issues. "I had represented the owner in his divorce," Reza notes, "and he sought my help as an outside counsel. He knew that I had business experience, and I've advised him on a variety of operational and legal matters."
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Iranian-American Bar Association- Past Board Member
- Iranian-American Bar Foundation- Past Founding Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association for Montgomery County, Maryland- Past Section Chair
Outside the Office
In addition to his commitment to family law and providing exceptional legal representation to the firm's clients, Reza is committed to participating in his community. He is active in the lives of his four children. He not only coaches most of their sports but also serves as the Assistant Commissioner of the Youth Football Program and Youth Basketball Program. In his spare time, Reza is an accomplished runner and tri-athlete who has completed more than 15 marathons, including the Alcatraz Shark Fest, an open-water swimming race in the San Francisco Bay from Alcatraz Island to shore.