Reza Golesorkhi is a fierce litigator and business lawyer who handles complicated legal matters. His business-like approach to decision-making, analyzing costs and benefits makes him an asset when the issues are complex and the stakes are high. Reza concentrates his practice in areas business and corporate law, civil and commercial litigation, defending medical professionals before credential and hospital boards as well as sophisticated divorce case.
For many of his business clients, Reza also serves as their outside general counsel and advisor, counseling on a wide variety of corporate law issues. "Clients often turn to me when they need aggressive advocacy, a practical, common sense approach to problem solving and a strong understanding of finance, tax and the nitty-gritty of general business operations."
His extensive background in business and corporate law makes him a go-to lawyer for tough divorce cases with potentially far-reaching business, family and tax consequences, often on behalf of professionals and other well-to-do clients throughout Maryland, Washington, DC, and Northern Virginia. His business background makes him an effective advisor and advocate in complex divorce and family law matters involve business valuations, closely-held family business holdings, domestic relations taxation, valuation of real estate holdings and other sophisticated financial issues.
Value to Clients
"One of my greatest strengths is in working with professional service providers accountants, MDs, dentists, lawyers and others with sophisticated financial assets and estates. I'm most passionate about helping clients male and female who are being left in the dark by their spouses…and being taken advantage of.
"I treat a divorce settlement as if it were a business deal. My goal is to get to a fair and equitable resolution in a manner that lets the parties move on amicably with both of their lives…and maintain their dignity with each other."
Outside the Office
Reza is an accomplished runner and tri-athlete who has completed more than 15 marathons, including the Alcatraz Shark Fest, an open-water swimming race in the San Francisco Bay from Alcatraz Island to shore. He also enjoys coaching his children's sports teams.
Direct Dial: 240-399-7892
The use of the Internet or this form of communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, 2004
George Washington University, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, B.S. , 1998
New Jersey, 2004
Washington, D.C., 2015
- A stay-at-home mom was looking at an impending divorce when her husband a prominent physician moved out of their house. "He didn't, however, stop there," explained Reza. Her husband also arranged to have her utilities turned off and limited her available cash. "We knew we needed something hanging over his head. So, we immediately filed in Prince George's County and caught him by surprise." The strategy worked, resulting in an out-of-court mediation, which led to an agreement granting Reza's client substantial alimony.
- According to Reza, "I was representing a man with substantial wealth, helping him plan his divorce." There was an issue because his wife hadn't worked for over 10 years, raising the possibility that his wife would be awarded indefinite alimony. Working closely with the client, the wife subsequently went back to work for a period of time, resulting in a lower alimony award for a short duration.
- A small, manufacturing business in Northern Virginia needed help with employment, trade secret and contractual issues. "I had represented the owner in his divorce," Reza notes, "and he sought my help as an outside counsel. He knew that I had business experience, and I've advised him on a variety of operational and legal matters."
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Program co-chair, Family Law Section, 2007–2008; co-chair, Family Law Section, 2008–2009
- Montgomery County, Maryland, American Inn of Court
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Iranian-American Bar Association, founding and board member
Awards & Honors
- Maryland SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2012–2014
- Smart CEO, designee
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Iranian-American Bar Association- Past Board Member
- Iranian-American Bar Foundation- Past Founding Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association for Montgomery County, Maryland- Past Section Chair